Thursday, October 4, 2012

Three Days into One Day


Hi all! Made it to Nairobi, Kenya, Africa.  The three-day journey through Philadelphia, South Africa and Kenya was almost like merged into a single day.  Had like maybe 5 or less hours of solid sleep in 72 hours. I figure for the three flights, I flew almost 19 hours.  The flight between JFK and South Africa (15 hours) was the longest flight ever in my life, and it was hellish.  I could not sleep for more than 20 minutes with people constantly bumping into me and stuff.

My group of 28 volunteers turned out to be a great group.  Few of them are fluent enough in ASL, with the next few signing "not that bad", and almost all of them knew the manual alphabet.  That made my life easier.  However, I am happy that I have 2 KSL interpreters and 4 Deaf Kenyans working with us during the entire training, so I will be very immersed in KSL.


As expected Internet isn't that good where I am at in Nairobi.  I wanted to write some posts for my blog but there isnt enough hours for me to do that yet.  But I am trying to keep a journal for future stories on the blog.  Actually before I left home, i really thought I would blog quite often, but obviously i am naive ha. I promise my posts will become more interesting and filled with better photos once I settle down (of course depending on the internet access).

Tomorrow will be our last day training in Nairboi before we head down to Machakos and/or Liotokitok for the next 10 weeks of training.  It is also where we will be staying with our home stay families (host families).  I am curious as to what my host family looks like.

Till then... Hakuna Matata.

Picture time!


Kenya!

The look of 5 hours of sleep in 72 hours.  All other volunteers and their bags in the background.

In case you need a better look.

This is my house.

On a shuttle to our Nairobi for two day training.  Find Waldo (me) yet?

Since I suck in the Kitchen and not know much about foods, so dont ask me too much about what the plate contains,  I just eat them.  There is alot of rice, beef (cow and goat), soup, etc.  By the way I have started to try to eat right and have not had any junk or candies thus far.  Remmy the Belt Challenge post below?

2nd day of the Booster Cards.  They were champ!  It lifted my spirits during sad times during my departure.

My bedroom in the Hostel (for two days).  Notice the mosquito net.  I did not even think of opening it up for last night, but I should have.  There is no mosquitos yet until the raining season but we are to use the nets all the time regardless.


No hole in th

No hole in the ground yet.  But I did see one at the airport.  



Front of the Hostel

Side of the Hostel

Better view of the Hostel




First day of the Booster Cards



Second day of the Booster Cards

Me at the training site, at the spot where theres good WiFi coverage (coming out from one of these rooms)

Posing with two fellow Deaf Kenyans who will be part of the KSL instruction team for us. 

Inside Hostel, there is open atrium

This is what our training look like.  Im sure you can guess where my seat is (I am not there as I took the photo)

Kenyans follow the British customs (since they occupied their country until 1967).  We have our tea and biscuit breaks twice a day.  Drinking hot tea in 80's in the afternoon isnt too bad.  I intend to immerse myself into Kenyan's culture so I do whatever they do.

We were doing various skits to learn about health and safety.  We did the water instruction (bottled, boiled, or filtered water, and never tap water)

We all were given our own medical kit -- with like about 1,000 pills and other meds in.  On the top is the malaria daily pills (started today), and later on, they will decide if I get to do them daily or use a different kind that would let me take them on weekly basis instead.  I also had three shots (typhoid, Hepatitis A and Hepatitis B)


6 comments:

  1. Karibu sana to Kenya!!! Glad you made it! Please tell a big Jambo to Josephine and Carolyn. Carolyn was one of my KSL instructor at my time. Stay health and enjoy there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad you arrived to Kenya safe and sound. I was wondering when we will hear from Jay!!! Sorry about your flight....ugh 15 hours long! Don't think I can do it! HA! Keep it up...proud of ya....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Erikson - do you remember Isabella? She is another Deaf Kenyan working with us, and she has been working for the Peace Corps the longest with 17 years. She remembers pretty much all of you. As for Josephine and Carolyn they did remember you when I mentioned you to them, but will pass on your message.

    Thanks the Pickerings!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jay! Welcome to Kenya! Sorry to hear about your longggg flight! Hope you're all caught up with your sleep! :o) Have fun learning at the training... I look forward to more of your postings! Love ya! xo

    Jill and John too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I was living in Sri Lanka many years ago, I adopted Sri Lankan culture- I LOVE the tea with the milk in them... Wish it was easier to find that here in USA...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Jay. I just realized that you should be in Kenya by now that I checked on your FB. Yay, you are there now. Oh really you had to fly to South Africa to get to Kenya. Aren't there any flights from Europe to Kenya? You made it with the long flight! I can sympathize with you as I have flown there numerous times. Enjoy your time there. Contribute your education, intelligence, knowledge, skills and experiences to the Kenyans!! Tanya

    ReplyDelete