Tuesday, October 23, 2012

And I Will Be Teaching At.....


Today, after so much anticipation and excitement, we finally received our permanent site assignments. Based on what I have read about the school, I am very happy and excited because they offer, and need, almost everything that I can offer and want to contribute.

Some facts about the school:

  • Reverend Muhoro Secondary School for the Deaf
  • Located in Mukurweini, Central Province, which is near Karati (30 min drive) and the big town Nyeri (45 min drive)
  • It is hilly in the mountainous region with lot of trees
  • There is a current hearing volunteer in Secondary Deaf Education, Amanda Herrell, that I will be replacing, so I will get all the tips from her
  • I think there is one Deaf teacher there already
  • Will live on the school compound in a house with one bedroom, sitting room, kitchen, bathroom, toilet, outside choo, water, electricity, all furnished from previous volunteer
  • I still will need to capture and haul water for drinking and cooking
  • This high school is among the first high schools for the Deaf
  • The school is built on hills and have many flights of stairs from house to school
  • There are 264 students in the school, but I think of the total, about 100 may be Deaf
  • School's average grade is 2.7 which I thought was pretty good
  • There are school activities like soccer, volleyball, indoor games, cricket, athletics. 
  • There are also clubs such as drama, science congress, scouting, etc.
  • Their website is at www.revmuhorosfd.com

No comments:

Post a Comment