Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Making the Leap

Note: This post is for August 29, 2011 when I decided to apply for the Peace Corps, after I was laid off from the Indiana Deaf School after nearly 11 years of service.  I am creating this blog to "journalize" my experiences that I would like to share with you, my dear readers and viewers.

It is now at this junction of my life where I reflect on the past accomplishments of my life and of those around me, where I am at now, and how I would like to continue on into the future.

I have had this itch of travelling the world for a long time.  I was not sure how to do that when I am unemployed.

My daughter, Sami, applied for the City Year, a part of AmeriCorps.  She was accepted into the program, but she later changed her mind, but that is another story.

Anyway, that gave me some ideas so I researched the AmeriCorps hoping that I could work in some National Park such as Yosemite or other places.  I love the national parks, and the outdoors, and I would not mind help build trails or something.  But unfortunately AmeriCorps take in volunteers aged between 18 through 24.

So, naturally, I jumped over to the Peace Corps and researched them.  They take in any volunteers aged 18 and up.  They even had one volunteer that was 80 years old.  So one thing after another, I decided to take the plunge and went to the Peace Corps web site and opened an account and started the application process.

When I told this to my family, they were excited for me and at the same time, naturally, I sensed some surprise and slight shock from them.  I guess it was very early and everything was rosy.

No comments:

Post a Comment