Monday, December 10, 2012

Farewell My Host Family, The Mutuas

Today is my last day living with my host family, the Mutuas.  They have taught me so much how to live like a Kenyan.  I learned how to wash my clothes, take a bath from a bucket, cook and eat Kenyan meals.  The family was very loving and laughs a lot, which brings warmth and happiness in the house.  They have a wonderful and comfortable home.  It was a challenge for me to find a perfect appreciation gift for the family because they pretty much got everything.  I decided on these gifts, and was very happy seeing that they were so thrilled.  I gave Mama Lafline a big umbrella, Baba (father) Anthony a baseball cap, Aunt Elizabeth a scarf, Papa (brother) Jones African mixed nuts, Sister Faith a novel of Africian stories, Sister Alice the "Trouble" game that I brought from America, and a jumping rope, and lastly but not least, Ndunge (house help, but like my second mama) set of 4 pot-holder towels (since she has been using ripped paper to hold hot boiling pots).

Farewell, and you will always be in my memories, and therefore, part of my life.


Sister Alice and me
Sister Faith and me

Me, Sister Faith and Sister Alice

Me and Baba Anthony
Sister Alice, Family Dog, Papa Jones

Papa Jones, Me, Sister Alice

Sister Alice floating!

Ndunge, Me and Aunt Elizabeth

Mama Lafline and Me

2 comments:

  1. Hi:) Thank you for sharing your story to the world. My third grade students and I have been visiting your site for weeks now. Keep on sharing your experiences. Thank you!
    Each student in my third grade are doing a project: presentation about one country's holiday celebration. It is due next week. with that, we are interested to know what kind of celebration does Kenya have? Christmas? Does Santa Claus stop by to visit your students?
    Thanks from Ms. Sam Wascher and the students at ISD.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jambo!

    I am thrilled that you and your class will be following my journey, and I welcome your class (and any class anywhere) to ask me any questions. However, to keep it simple, use my email address (see contact me tab above) and we can correspond. I will answer your questions above via email as well.

    ReplyDelete