Saturday, November 10, 2012

Liotokitok Part 2

I wanted to post these few pictures that I took before I left Liotokitok that I missed in my recent post.  In this part of the country the folks are mainly of the Maasai tribe.  There are 42 tribes in this country (and we say its actually 43 if we count the deaf "tribe"), and historically, that was part of the problem in keeping the country united since they all have their own languages, customs, traditions, etc.  But they are getting there.  However there are still tribal issues out in the northeast parts of the country by the Somalia border.

Anyway, with the Massai tribe, they are known for their colorful clothing, enlarged ear lobes, colorful necklaces and earrings, and for men, 2 foot knives on their belts and a walking/herding stick.  They are also known for standing on one foot with another foot resting on the standing knee.

With my iPod, I found it almost impossible to take a good frontal picture of these folk without invading in their space and privacy.  I was not there long enough to make acquaintance with them so that they would be happy to pose with me.   Oh well.

Each town have their own markets.  I was hunting for Africian shirts, and was told that I should find them as they are made by the Maasai women.  I searched around the market for almost two hours without success.  Maybe I was there a little too early as I can see many shops are still being set up.  Oh well I will try my luck elsewhere.





Fruit and vegetable market.  Behind that green building is where the market is for all other non-food stuff.


Cabbage anybody?  There's plenty here!  Cabbage and spinach is used almost everyday anywhere in Kenya.


2 comments:

  1. Thank you so much.We are Vince Villella's parents and love reading your posts.I told Vince 4 months ago you would be my new bff! Love your updates. Pat and Sally Villella

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha. Just showed this to Vincent and he chuckled. He's getting to be good with the manual alphabet and sign language. We re all together now for a week here in Machakos for the HIV/AIDS training.

    ReplyDelete