Friday, October 12, 2012

Raining Cats and Dogs

Raining Cats and Dogs probably does not apply well here in Kenya.  They do not really have cats and dogs as pets, but rather view them as scavengers, and creatures that you need to keep away from at all possible.  However, they do have a dog as an organic house alarm system, and a cat as an organic Terminix (to keep little creatures at bay).

Anyway back to raining Cats and Dogs, after our training yesterday we saw such a great rainbow.  But after taking a few photos, it really rained cats and dogs.  Some of us were totally and absolutely soaked.  We walked all the way to our home stays without umbrellas, raincoats, boots, or anything like that.  It was amusing to see at several spots, there are school children under some roof shelters grinning at how idiots we are for keeping walking in such a heavy storm.

We know Kenya sort of have two "rain seasons", one early in the year - like Feb - April or March - May, and a short one that is coming up, in Nov-Dec.  I am not sure if it will "rain all day long and look gloomy such as what Indiana would look like" or it would just have periods of rain in the day (like in the West).


Lets see if seeing rainbows mean RUN HARD not ADMIRE.


There are buckets, tanks, and may other plastics to capture run off water.  They use them for cleaning floors, use to flush the toilet inside (I never used it), and so forth.  Its better than going out and haul water in jugs.  No, we do not drink from it, but using PUR water filter powder tablet, we really can use this water.  More on this later


Are you my mother?  Baa Baa


Notice the water jugs under the counter.  We use that for our baths, dishes, etc.  I pour a capful of Detol in the bathing water to kill anything that loves to get inside me.


Corn cobs are tossed in the fires for the kettles.  


I feel like a school kid.  I have not wore a backpack for years, and been using a knapsack, but having to haul so much so often, its nice.  Notice the umbrella?  My mama made sure I took one with me. This route is my typical commute into Machakos.  This road (or is it more of a trail?) leads to a "semi-main" road where everyone trickles down from their local towns.  


Without any technology, I guess the distance between my home to Machakos is about 3 miles one way, and it takes me 20-30 minutes depending if we walk in silence or chatting.  When I text (using my keyboard-less cell phone, it could probably take me another 15 minutes with the damn numeric keypad).  Also you may wonder why am I wearing white pants in the mud...because I am pretty  much out of clean clothes.  I have not yet washed my clothes since I landed in Philadelphia.  I tried to budget my wardrobe by wearing pants twice and rotate with tops/shirts (unless I sweat too much).  Sunday I will learn how to wash them all.


Notice laptops?  We all always grab opportunities to email or upload home, but we were given so little break time and always been on the go.  Our trainers seem to like to finish sessions on the dot, rather than let us go if we are pretty done with the session.  Darn.

This afternoon we will visit Machakos Deaf School again, but for two more sessions (sigh, we sit in one of their classrooms on hard chairs that are not at adult size).  

Then the weekend begins.  I look forward to that cuz it breaks the training routine of sleep-eat-walk-learn-tea-learn-lunch-learn-tea-learn-walk-bathe-eat-play-sleep.  I hope to follow Baba and help with the chores such as tending to the animals and see his crop. Also I get to sleep in (yeah right).  One thing I wonder about is when they go to Church, will they expect me to accompany them or would they let me plead that I am Jewish or that I need to study (yeah right, again).  However, I did hear there is a Deaf Church near Machakos Deaf School that I would not mind attending (not for the sermons but to learn Kenya culture and meet deaf adults).  

Tidbits:
  • Pedestrian has zero right of way on any roads and even sidewalks.  when you cross, you better NOT assume drivers will slow down.  If you get hit, you will have 7 of your 9 lives left (first car hits, and then you'll get run over by second car).
  • If you think you are smelling your body odor, you can be assured its probably not yours.  I had to sniff myself so may times to make sure.  But then I respect Kenya culture -- some of them may have different hygiene or have different bath products or whatever...
Hakuna Matata


No comments:

Post a Comment