Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Earring and Culture Clash

Among several culture differences between America and Kenya, this one may affect me the most.

"While facial piercing, multiple-pierced ears and visible body piercing or tattoos are common in the United States, they are not common for either gender in Kenya.  Male volunteers should not wear earrings and bandanas, as such items on men may be the basis of considerable ridicule.  Body piercing in general (by both sexes) will be a source of suspicion and open criticism.  Volunteers with existing tattoos should keep them covered." 
So with that, out of respect, I shall remove my tiny earring that I wore since I was around 16 years old.  My old roomate at Gallaudet (College) University, Dale Kennedy, pierced it for me using a sewing pin or something back in 1979.  Except for few years, while I worked in a company back in Chicago, I have never went earring-less.


So, bye-bye ol' faithful earring.  I shall put you away safely somewhere in my dresser and we shall meet again in 27 months...


No comments:

Post a Comment